Saturday 28 March 2009

There's Snow Holeing like Snow Holeing


This week I've been on a Winter Mountain Leader Training Course in Scotland for which I had to travel over 900 miles from Cornwall to Aberfeldy via Nottingham, a feat only possible through the power of coffee and the fact that I lift shared from Kendal. The intense week culminated in a 2 day expedition in the Cairngorms with a night spent in a snow hole. We stayed in old snow holes that had been filled with drifting snow and although they smelt like the inside of my hiking boot the serene shelter was a welcome relief after the 7 hour battering we had received at the hands of the elements. Although I had a great nights sleep my snow hole buddies did not seem so well rested after being subjected to the killer combo of my snoring and the water torture of a dripping roof! Once back in Aberfeldy (civilisation?) we thawed out with night of curry and whisky, perfect preparation for the 11 hour journey home!

1 comment: